Spring Break!

Well it’s finally here…SPRING BREAK!  I’m sitting at my cottage in my sunroom looking out over the fresh snow we got last night and hoping it will all melt soon.  Yesterday I didn’t have a jacket on and now this!

March seems to have flown by.  I can’t believe we had Saint Patrick’s Day, reports went home, and conferences all happened within a very short period of time.

IMG_8977 IMG_8976 IMG_8975IMG_8973

The Super Kids had a blast on Saint Patrick’s Day.  We learned about the story of who Saint Patrick was and the legend of how he drove the snakes out of Ireland.  We also discussed why people celebrate this holiday.  We learned that many people in North America have ancestors who immigrated from Ireland and that it is a national holiday in Ireland.  I explained that my own Grandmother came over from Ireland as a teenager with her family.  Of course this started a discussion about what the Super Kids knew about their families.  It tied back to the holiday discussions we had in December.  Many of our Super Kids were not born in Canada.  I set up some fun Saint Patrick’s Day centres such as graphing Lucky Charms cereal, a word search, how many words can you make out of Saint Patrick’s Day, and a leprechaun race to 100 using place value. We had a great time.

IMG_8968 IMG_8966 IMG_8970 IMG_8964

In science, the class has been learning about the water cycle.  We created our own water cycle by making clouds and raindrops.  We even have a puddle on our floor!  We watched a “Sid the Science Kid” and a “Magic School Bus” video to reinforce our learning.  The kids enjoyed sharing their knowledge with their families when they came for student-led conferences this week.

After spring break we have decided to take our new knowledge about the water cycle and study rainforests.  The Super Kids are excited to make our own kapok tree and understand why the rainforests are being cut down.  Is there something that we can do to help?  I can’t wait to see where the class run with this.  We started to paint the trunk of our tree we made out of the washing machine box that I made my husband keep.

Check out the video some of my Super Kids made with our student teacher this week.  They were experimenting with dominoes and slow motion animation! I have a feeling its just the beginning.

dominoes

Have a wonderful spring break!

One thought on “Spring Break!