Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!  I hope that everyone is taking time this weekend to focus on their family.  The turkey is in my oven!

This week we took the time to share what we are thankful for.  We talked about what truly matters…our family and friends.  Many of the Super Kids mentioned their brother and sisters, even if they bug them. 🙂

img_0571 img_0572 img_0573 img_0574 img_0557

QR codes, writing around the room, the chipo game, and the pebble go website were a few of the reader’s workshop centres this week.  Students cycle through two centres a day during our reader’s workshop time.  I am thrilled by the kid’s enthusiasm when they come over to work with me in their book clubs.  Beginner readers are working on their sight word recognition, stretching the sounds, chunking words, and looking at the picture for clues.  Other groups are working on reading with expression, clarifying words, and comprehension skills.  Many of the Super Kids have asked to read to the class and I will always say YES!  On Friday were treated to one of  Mo Willems classics.

img_0576

We played “Guess My Number” this week.  Students had ten minutes to write as many ways to show a number of their choice. Number sentences, tally marks, picture cues, dice patterns, and even word problems were used as clues.  Then we walked around the room and tried to guess everyone’s number.  There was lots of excited kids when they guessed right! We also focused on patterns and number lines this week.

img_0570

img_0560

Many of the Super Kids didn’t know their addresses, phone numbers and some didn’t know their own birthdays.  This become our mission in Social Studies.

img_0547 img_0548

One of our favourite things to do is go to the library.  Mrs. Z always has a great story to share with us and she helps us find great books.  Some of the Super Kids discovered the globe and were looking for countries they know. Awesome!

img_0550 img_0552 img_0554 img_0555 img_0556

I hope everyone has a great long weekend.  Happy Thanksgiving…and I’ll see all of my Super Kids on Tuesday.

2 thoughts on “Happy Thanksgiving

1. My little man knows his phone number now without hesitation! Looks like you all had a fun week! Thanks for making grade 1 awesome for our son Mrs. Didyk! He only has wonderful things to say about school and you!