Welcome Back

Happy New Year!  Vacations seem to fly by.  I hope that all of my Super Kid’s families had a wonderful holiday season.  My family went to Orlando after celebrating Christmas, and enjoyed some time in the sun.

The Super Kids were thrilled to see each other on Monday and shared their vacation stories.  Getting back into routine can be challenging, so most were exhausted by the afternoon.  To tell you the truth, I was too! 🙂 We started our day on Monday with a “Find Someone Who…” activity.  This got us up and moving.  I was very popular for the find someone who went on a plane.  Even our fish Jeff go in on the action.  The student’s family that were kind enough to take him for winter break, even gave him a stocking and a gift!  Many wrote his name on the “got a generous gift” box.

After reading the books “If You Decide to Go to the Moon” by Faith McNulty and “The Darkest Dark” by astronaut Christ Hadfield, we started a conversation about space.

So many questions came out of this discussion.  What is the moon made of?  How do you become an astronaut?  Are aliens real?  Why does the moon change shape?  When I said, “I don’t know.  Wouldn’t be great to find out!”  I had them hooked!

One Super Kid suggested we look for videos about landing on the moon.  We found the first moon landing, a shuttle taking off, and many Chris Hadfield videos from his time on the International Space Station.  The class liked the fact that he was Canadian. For some reason, I am not able to upload the links to these videos.  If you are interested in checking them out, then search for Chris Hadfield brushes his teeth, makes a sandwich, and sleeping in space.

The class is excited to get started, find the answers to their questions, and learn about universe! Stay tuned…:)