Space Research and Welcoming A New Student

On Friday, we welcomed our new friend all the way from China!  The Super Kids were thrilled to have her join us.  They even made her a welcome sign for the door that our new friend took home with her.  I’m sure the new country, school, language, and friends were overwhelming. Not to mention the freezing temperatures this past week!  I’m so proud of my amazing class for their big hearts and generosity.  The most important thing was that our new friend felt welcomed and was happy to join us.

Our word work this week included a focus on contractions and vowels.  One centre involved matching the snowman words to the contraction hat.  I’m noticing as the students become more comfortable with contractions, they are starting to experiment with them as they write.  Even my grade 1 students are making connections and noticing these words in books.

We began our research projects this week on the solar system.  Using our classroom books and the Pebble Go website, the class began learning about their topic.  Pebble Go is a website that students can read or they can click on the speaker icon and the site will read it to them.

Thanks to one Super Kid’s family, we have a very large box that we are turning into a spaceship!  We started painting it on Friday and plan to get creative with it next week.  We’re still figuring out how to make   our cone top.  If you have any suggestions let us know.  The class is brainstorming some ideas and would love your suggestions.

This coming week we will be learning about the artist Vincent Van Gogh and creating our own Starry Night inspired art pieces.  On Friday we plan to get messy and make our own paper mache planets!  Thanks to those brave parent volunteers that are joining us for our messy afternoon.

Have a nice weekend. 🙂

One thought on “Space Research and Welcoming A New Student

1. Thank you Miss Didyk and all the super kids! Emma is so happy and excited to join in the big family! Although she can’t understand some of what you are talking about, she is making progress so rapidly!
    Best wishes to all of you!