Getting Creative!

This was a week full of creativity!  We started the week learning about the famous painter Vincent Van Gogh.  The class loved looking at his paintings and admiring his use of colour.

I told the class my story about going to the Museum of Modern Art in New York.  There was a class of young kids sitting in front of Starry Night learning about the painting.  Of course there was also a bunch of adults standing behind straining to hear all the details. I was one of them.  It was fascinating to me that these lucky kids got to go there for their class field trip.  They were surrounded by so many masterpieces.  I got to take a picture beside the famous painting and even got yelled at by the museum guard because by purse bumped the frame!  Mortifying!!!!  Can you imagine if this priceless piece of art was knocked off the wall by me? That day changed my teaching.  I decided right there, surrounded by some of the most famous pieces of art in the world, that my students would learn about them.  That my students would know art appreciation and create their own masterpieces influenced by Van Gogh, Matisse, Pollock, Picasso and many more.

We created our own versions of Starry Night using shaving cream, watercolour paint, and pastels.

Our Spaceship is really taking off! 🙂 We’ve cut our hatch, drawn and painted our NASA sign, and even made our cone on the top.  It has turned into a great place to curl up with a good book.

Thanks to those families that brought in old electronics for us to take apart.  The Super Kids love the take apart centre.  They are busy dismantling old computers and even a stereo.  Great questions are coming out of this activity.  Why are wires made of plastic with metal inside?  Why are circuit boards so pointy?  How does all this actually work?

A huge thank you to the four volunteers that helped us paper mache on Friday afternoon.  There was plenty of laughs, cooperation, and of course a huge mess!  We let them dry over the weekend and plan to paint them this coming week.

We continued to learn all about the solar system with the help of the YouTube channel “Crash Course Kids”.  Check out the links below:

I finally figured out how to get the NASA links working from a pervious post.  I’ve included them below.

The kids had a great week and so did I!  I can’t wait to see how our planets turn out and to continue to work on our research projects.  🙂