Valentine’s Day / 100th Day Of School

Happy belated Valentine’s Day everyone!  On Tuesday, the Super Kids loved spending the day talking about friendship, exchanging cards, and working through valentines themed activities.

My favourite thing to do at our party was to exchange cards.  Every child had a bag sitting at their spot and they loved handing out their cards to each other.  Of course we had to open them and thank each person for their gift.  We watched “Franklin’s Valentine” while enjoying our yummy snacks provided by some of the Super Kid’s families.  You might notice that some of the students are wearing scarfs around their waists and hats.  That is because it was also dress like a voyageur day.

We hope that our families enjoyed the valentines that we made for them.  Each student put a special written message to their families on the back of the watercolour hearts we made last week.

Wednesday was our special pancake snack.  The middle school students in our school served us pancakes that our principal and vice principal very kindly made for the whole school.  We headed down to the gym and enjoyed our treat and listened to french music.

Today was the 100th day of school!  How is that even possible? One Super Kid even came dressed for the day…

After I had a good laugh, and gave her a big hug, I told her that we have actually been together for almost 300 days!  She is one of my awesome grade 2 students. 🙂

This morning we made a class book called “100 Days Smarter”.  Each student was asked to think about what they didn’t know, when we started this year of school, that they know now.  There were so many different answers.  I didn’t know how to add big numbers.  I didn’t know who Vincent Van Gogh was.  I didn’t know how to stretch out words when I am reading.  I didn’t know how to make new friends.  I didn’t know I had so many questions I wanted to find the answers to.  🙂

After recess all the 1/2 classes worked together.  We had different 100 day centres set up in the 4 classrooms.  Kids had a passport that guided them through the centres.  When they completed the activity they got a stamp.  In our room the students played race to 100 and the 100 second challenge.  The idea was to stay moving for 100 seconds.  They could do jumping jacks, hula hoop or just move!  It was a hit.  Many came back multiple times to do it again.

Our grade 3/4 learning buddies joined us this afternoon and we played three new 100 themed math games with them.  This practice will help us next week when the games will be used during our guided math time.

Tomorrow is the final day of french week.  In the morning we will be making a french craft and in the afternoon it’s winter fun day.  Activities include sledding races, tug of war, snow soccer and many more.  The kids are going to exhausted at the end of the day.  I will be too!