Working with our friends

I can’t believe it’s already May!  The year has flown by with lots of great experiences and learning taking place.  We have an exciting last couple of months still to go.   We welcomed a new friend from Vietnam on Wednesday to the Super Kids classroom.  As soon as I get permission to use her picture on the blog I will introduce you to our new friend.  The class was excited to welcome her.  They made a sign, decorated her locker, and made sure she felt like our classroom was a happy place to be.  We have had several friends join our class, from other countries, over the past two years.  I marvel at the way these families jump in with both feet, how my new students adapt to their new surroundings, and how welcoming my amazing class is to new friends.

The weather has definitely changed for the better here in Winnipeg!  This week we had to take advantage of it. When it was time for our 1/2 friends from Mrs. Haines’ class to join us for buddy time, we headed outside.  Who doesn’t like to read in the sunshine?

WARNING….IF YOU ARE A MOM OF ONE OF THE SUPER KIDS STOP SCROLLING NOW!! MOTHER’S DAY GIFT INFORMATION BELOW  READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

The Super Kids started our Mother’s Day art project this week.  We looked at Van Gogh’s famous flower paintings especially “Sunflowers” for inspiration.

We looked at his paintings closely and examined the vases, how he painted his flowers, and the different types of flowers he painted.  We also read “Vincent and the Sunflowers” for inspiration.

Take a closer look as the cover of the book.  Do you notice something familiar?  The Super Kids did!  The tree in the background is the same tree from Van Gogh’s painting “Starry Night”.  Many student’s hands shot up when I introduced the book.  They noticed the connection right away.  🙂

We used pastel as our media instead of paint.  Tulips and daisies at the table to inspire the kids to use different types of flowers in their art pieces. Each student took their time and created their special gift for mom.  Some aren’t finished but I’ve put a few pictures of the process below.

I can’t wait to see them all finished and in their frames.  The kids are so proud of their gifts for those special ladies in their lives.

One thought on “Working with our friends