Jackson Pollock Inspired Father’s Day Gifts

Happy Father’s Day!  The Super Kids were so excited to create a special art project just for their Dads.  They spent a lot of time creating special cards too.  If you haven’t received your gift…STOP READING NOW!!!!!!  SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!

Have you ever taken a close look at a Jackson Pollock painting?  I had the opportunity a few years ago when I visited the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.  I was blown away by how big his art pieces are!  One piece fills a whole wall in the museum.  Layer after layer of paint that looks like it is moving.  I introduced the class to Pollock’s work earlier this week.  We put on our “artist eyes” and looked at his pieces and describe what we saw.

What do you see when you look at this painting?  The Super Kids saw people, a ferris wheel, hearts, and many shapes.  We looked at several of his pieces.  They truly are “Art in Motion”.

We read the book “Action Jackson” by Jan Greenberg and Sandra Jordan.  We learned that Jackson Pollock lived by the ocean in a small house with his wife and dog.  He loved to go to the small garage on his property which he transformed into his art studio.  He didn’t use watercolour or acrylic paint…he used regular house paint you buy at the hardware store.  If a bug or some change from his pocket fell onto the painting, he would leave it there.  It became part of the art!

I’m sure you can guess what we did next.  We created our own Pollock inspired art pieces for our Dads.  You might have noticed some paint splatters in some our the Super Kid’s hair Wednesday!  They used marbles, flicked their fingers, and splattered paintbrushes to create their masterpieces.

Here are a few of the kid’s creations. 🙂

We continued with our camping theme this week and finished our camping animal research projects.  The class is so proud of their work.  We shared our posters with our 3/4 buddies this afternoon.

Math centres involved many new math games that helps the kids focus on their number sense.  ZAP has become a class favourite!

I can’t believe we only have 10 days of school left!  Enjoy your weekend. 🙂