The 50th Day Of School

Thursday was the 50th day of school!  The year is flying by so we had to celebrate by having a 50s themed day.  Students were welcomed to dress like kids from the 1950s to help with the atmosphere of the day.  Our neighbouring 1/2 classroom also joined us in celebrating the day.  Here is a picture of myself with Mrs. G from next door.

We listened to rock and roll, had a sock hop, did 50s math, and even had a yummy float!

50s themed math was lots of fun.  The kids rotated through centers that had them grouping numbers larger and smaller than 50, racing to the number 50, practicing their doubles, and estimating how many blocks could fit inside different sized records.

50 seconds is longer than you think!  Using the online stop watch on our projector, we counted to see how many chews of gum, bunny hops, twists, and hula hoops we could make in 50 seconds.

\ 

Click on the links below to see us in action!

50s2-1w55u17

50s-tkkf9b

50s3-12iqu5n

Using a green screen app, we were transported back to the 1950s.

Next we tried a special treat…a float!

What a great day of learning and celebrating!

Our classroom’s blog was mentioned for the second time this year in the Edublog Digital Newsletter!  Edublog is the digital forum that we use for our class blog.  It’s so exciting to be mentioned again this school year and to be tweeted out to all of Edublog’s followers!  We were recognized for our giraffe artwork. Our website has had hits from all over the world this weekend.  I can’t wait to share the great news with the class on Monday. 🙂

On Wednesday and Thursday night I had to opportunity to meet with each of my Super Kid and their parents during our school’s conferences.  It was a pleasure to see you all again and share how proud I am of each and every one of my students.  I consider it a privilege to be able to spend my days with them helping them grow, discover, and question.  I have the best job ever!