Our School’s Exhibition – A Shadow Theatre

Over the last 3 months we have been exploring how natural patterns affect our environment. Through our guided inquiry, students have investigated: day and night, the phases of the moon, seasonal changes, the water cycle, and explored how air and water are important to life on Earth.

The Grade1/2 students were inspired by Todd Parr’s “The Earth Book”, which tells a story about how kids can make a difference.  Students wrote a script, created giant puppets, and designed a program that outlined the meaning of each scene.

This performance is an artistic representation of all our learning this term. We are proud to present to you – “The Earth Book – A Shadow Theatre”.

Please click on “The Earth Book Program” link below for an explanation of each scene.

The-Earth-Book-Program-final-29ezcl5-1mj5anv-1p3jqcs

On March 22nd, we performed our shadow theatre with our 1/2 friends from Mrs. G’s room,  to a crowd of over 100 people during our school’s spring exhibition. Please copy the link below to download and watch the video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xs211a9429u21nb/shadowtheatre.m4v.zip?dl=0

This week we not only were preparing for our exhibition, but we also were studying the idea of sinking and floating.  Students predicted if they thought an item would sink or float and then we tested each item.  This lead to a STEM activity on Friday.  Can you make a boat that will float out of recyclable material that will hold a 20 gram weight?  The answer is YES! The class rose to the challenge and many created boats that held a 200 gram weight! I know what you’re thinking.  A design project on the last day of school before spring break after a late night performing for our community!  Are you nuts? If you know the Super Kids as a class you would understand.  They love to create, build, and plan.  Activities like this make them smile, giggle, and bring out their natural curiosity.  This was a day of creativity for my engineers.  It was a great way to spend our last day together before the break.

I want to wish all of my Super Kids and their families a wonderful spring break!  I’ll see you soon. 🙂