Super Kid Scientists

The Super Kids have become entomologists.  Who are entomologists and what do they study?  They are scientists who study insects.  Each student has picked an insect from the Pebble Go website to learn about so they can teach the rest of the class.  We have been talking about what jot notes are and how to use a web to organize ideas.

On Friday our caterpillars finally arrived!  The class is so excited to watch them go through metamorphosis and turn into painted lady butterflies.  We have 4 containers to study and observe.

On Friday dental hygienist, Camille Penner, visited our classroom.  I’ve been friends with Camille for 22 years!  I was thrilled that she agreed to spend some time with us to explain the importance of having good dental health habits.  Students even got to brush and floss large teeth.  Each student went home with a toothbrush.  I overheard one Super Kid say to the other “I guess my mom was right.” 🙂

We extended our learning by conducting a science experiment with eggs, pop, punch, and vinegar.  We placed eggs in these different liquids to observe.  After explaining that the shell represents the enamel on our teeth, each student recorded their hypothesis’ in their enamel investigation booklet.  Then we placed another egg into vinegar which represented plaque on our teeth if we don’t brush.    The next day we took them out and made our observations.  Next we used a toothbrush and toothpaste to try to clean the eggs.

The shell of the egg in the vinegar completely dissolved!

We were thrilled to go to the morning performance of “Beauty And The Beast” by the middle years students in our school.  What a show! Congratulations to all the students and staff involved.  When the student who played Belle started to sing, one Super Kid grabbed my arm and said, “Look Mrs. Didyk!  It really is Belle!”  The kids absolutely loved it.

We took advantage of the weather this week.  We headed outside for buddy reading and word work in the morning before it got HOT!  It might be May, but it sure felt like July with temperature above 30 degrees Celsius!