Summer Has Arrived!

What a year it has been!  Starting a brand new school has been challenging but so rewarding.  The staff at Ecole Sage Creek School went into this school year with a lot of anticipation and very eager to create a creative place where kids are excited to learn.  I hope we have accomplished this. 🙂 I’ve been very lucky in my education career.  I have actually been part of a staff that opened another school in our school division earlier in my career.  It has been a privilege to have both of these opportunities to help build school communities.

I love going to work each day.  I have a job where I feel that I can help kids discover their potential.  What an honour it has been to get to spend my days with your children.  They see themselves as artists, scientists, engineers, writers, readers, and so much more.  It has been a privilege to be part of their journey.  🙂

Ok…now that the sappy stuff is done, lets talk about how the Super Kids ended our year together.

Earlier in the week, we finished our solar ovens and tested them,  It was a HOT day in Winnipeg so we took advantage of sun and made some s’mores.  How long did it take for the chocolate to melt and our marshmallows to get soft?  Less than 2 minutes!  It was 34 degrees Celsius in the afternoon, so it didn’t take long.  Dietary concerns were meet so everyone could make a s’more.  We tested them in front of our school where there is some shade and benches for us to sit.  There is nothing like a little science and a tasty treat.

The Super Kids were very excited that it was the last week of school, so we created our summer bucket lists!  After creating my own, the kids got to work.  If you ever run out of ideas, just look at your child’s bucket list for some awesome ideas.

This Super Kid loves to take kids cookbooks from the school library.  Our classroom’s Educational Assistant, Mme. Coutts thought it would be nice for him to make a special surprise for the class from a recipe he wanted to try.  He was so proud and we all loved the surprise!  A future chef in our class perhaps?

It might have been the last week of school, but we were learning right up to the end.  Kid participated in unplugged honeybee coding, math centres, and even some spacial relations practice with 100 piece puzzles.

What did we do on the last day of school?  We had a school wide assembly to celebrate our school’s first year together.  Check out the link below to see our school wide “LipDub”. Can you spot our class?

We played games like Pictionary, Charades, Jenga, and even Twister.  We watched the first episode of the new “Magic School Bus”.  Did you know there is a new Miss. Frizzle?  Of course we danced to our favourite movement break songs and even did Mindcraft yoga with Cosmic Kids.  Yep…that was all in one day!

dancing-z3nzni

Now that summer has started I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone who has been so supportive this school year.  Thank you parents for understanding the importance of the home/school connection and supporting our classroom of curious kids.  Once a Super Kid always a Super Kid!  I consider them to always be my kids.  Enjoy your summer and I look forward to seeing you all in the fall!