Field Trip and Leprechaun Traps

WARNING!  This post has LOTS of pictures!  I had to document the steps to our design process project and of course our field trip to the Manitoba Children’s Museum.

Our class and the three other 1/2 multiage classes heading to the Manitoba Children’s Museum right here in Winnipeg.  The Super Kids were excited to explore all of the exhibits and learn about the 3Rs in the museum program we were attending. The program focused on sorting materials, talking about the 3Rs, and how we can help our environment.  The students even got to reuse some materials to create and group project.

After lunch it was time to explore the exhibits and have fun with our friends.  Thank you to the two parent volunteers that joined us for our trip.  We hope you enjoyed your time with the Super Kids.  The kids had a fantastic day. Many even fell asleep on the bus ride home!

This week we designed our leprechaun traps. We read the book “How To Catch A Leprechaun” first.  The link is below.

How To Catch A Leprechaun

The class was eager to dive in, get creative, and test their inventions.  We talked about what every trap needed to have and made a criteria chart to refer to.  Every trap needed to be made out of recyclable materials, needed to fit a leprechaun in it (we made a size reference), have leprechaun bait and had to be colourful to attract them. When presenting to the class we needed to speak clearly, explain our design, and demonstrate how it worked.  We started by bringing in materials to use.  Thank you to every family that provided material for the students to share.  We couldn’t have made them without lots of materials!

It turned into a week long adventure!  The students tested their inventions, helped each other, and created their presentations.  Everyone wanted to be on the blog, so here they ALL are!

Since there was no school on St. Patrick’s Day, the class has to wait until Monday morning to see if they trapped any leprechauns.  While I was at the PD session at our school on Friday, we had a little visitor! I can’t wait to see their reactions!!!!

On top of all of these exciting projects, we also learned a few math games and practiced them with each other so we could use them as a centre for guided math time.

Friday was a professional development day for the staff of our school and others across the division.  I was lucky to be part of an amazing session where many teachers from our school and others got to watch an amazing traditional hoop dancer.  We even got to make a set of hoops for our school.  Then she showed use how to create formations with them.  I can’t believe how difficult it is!  There are no pictures of me trying these complicated moves.  Thank goodness! 🙂

One more week left until spring break.  I look forward to seeing everyone at our open house conferences this week.  See you then.

One thought on “Field Trip and Leprechaun Traps

1. I see lots of little foot prints! You’ve been busy! Thank you for creating such an amazing place for our kids to learn and feel right at home.