Birch Trees And So Much More

The leaves are changing, Thanksgiving long weekend is coming to an end, and I’m currently watching football while typing this post.  Yep…Fall is here.  It was time to make some fall inspired art.  This past week we talked about the difference between warm and cool colours. We used warm colours, that reminded us of a sunset, to create our backdrop for our birch trees.  After looking at many pictures of fall birch trees, we created our own.  The students used black paint and a small piece of cardboard to create the small nicks in the trees that makes the distinctive look of a birch tree.  We love to create art with some classical music playing!  It’s so calming.  You can hear the kids take a deep breath and relax.  If you’re around this week, make sure to take some time to stop in and see our artwork.

The Super Kids were introduced to the online reading program, Raz Kids this week.  It is a reading program that we are using for our home reading program this year.  Each student was exposed to “just right” books at they’re reading level.  Once we all got logged into the laptops and onto the system, the kids explored the website so they could share it with their families.

The Super Kids love math games!  This week the whole class had several mini lessons on using a number line, counting up and back from a number, and solving number sentences in their skill builders.

Each afternoon, the Super Kids have centre time.  This is a time for the students to explore different activities that interest them.  This week many students built structures, create art pieces, built chain reactions, explored the science items, and explored the classroom library.

This weekend is Thanksgiving in Canada.  I’m thankful for my family, friends, and the opportunity to teach my amazing students each day.  I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving with their families.