Senior’s Day

Our school was full of very special guests this week…our grandparents! We welcomed them into our classroom and shared with them how school has changed from what they remember.  Thank you to all of our guests who jumped in and participated in math games, movement breaks, buddy reading, music and so much more.  Not all of the Super Kids had grandparents that were able to make it, so our guests were kind enough to participate in activities that included everyone in our class.

One of the math stations was showing our guests how to code with the Kodable app on the iPad.  Our guests were so excited about this station.  One grandma told me that she was going home and getting the app on her iPad.  It wasn’t just for her grandchild either, she wanted to learn too!

We performed our reader’s theatre play to our special audiences both in the morning and in the afternoon.  The Super Kids did an amazing job.  They spoke clearly and had the play down pat!  All that practice payed off. 🙂

It’s always a special time when kids read to their grandparents.  Their eyes light up and everyone is engaged in the book.  We shared the process of buddy reading, how we pick good fit books, and then took some time to cuddle up and read.

I hope everyone who was able to join us enjoyed their time in the Super Kid’s classroom!

What is Pop Art?  How is it different from other art styles we’ve learned about this year?  Those were a few questions that started our art inquiry into Andy Warhol and Roy Liechtenstein this week.  We took a look at some of their pieces and discussed what we noticed.

Andy Warhol

We used the website from Queensland Art Gallery in Australia to learn more about Andy Warhol.  The website had great interactive games that introduces kids to artists including Andy Warhol.

http://www.qagoma.qld.gov.au/learn/kids/home

Roy Liechtenstein was another pop artist.  He is also called the “Super Hero” artist because a lot of his art looks like comic books.

We combined our knowledge of both these artists to create our own pop art using bubble wrap and apples.  Check out our process below.

Important Note:

Two amazing Super Kid artist’s Monet inspired art pieces didn’t make it to the art show!  They fell behind the shelf and I didn’t notice they were missing at the time.  I was putting up all the pieces from the four classes and some how I missed it. 🙁  Mistakes happen and both artists understand.  To make up for this mistake I wanted to highlight them both and share their art with our blogging world.  One of my very understanding students said  “It’s ok Mrs. Didyk.  Adults can make mistakes to.”  🙂

It’s been quite a week, and we still have Friday to go.